As part of the project I’m working on with Oscar, we decided to incorporate some fluid dynamics. Without much experience with the software, I have to admit that getting RealFlow to function correctly is a trying experience.
The difficulty lies in the fact that rendering takes many phases, from the initial particle setup, through mesh formation, and final render. In early experiments (seen above), the fluid was too coarse and free-flowing, which gives the blood/oil a creepy quality.
More progress updates coming as the process continues…
As previously mentioned, I’ve been trying some new art endeavors which incorporate Microsoft’s Kinect. This process has been extremely frustrating as my main computer is my Early 2008 Mac Pro, and with it I’ve been encountering a TON of problems. It’s difficult to tell exactly which part isn’t functioning correctly, as the output from the Kinect has been registering a bunch of different errors (Bandwidth and Power and Connectedness, Oh MY!).
At first, I thought the issue might be limited to the OSX version, because those drivers are open-source and not officially supported by Microsoft. However, even after loading up BootCamp with the real drivers installed, I continued to experience the same problems under Windows 7 64-bit. The support forums ask that you remove any extraneous USB plugs to the computer, and I complied. Even with just the Kinect being the only device plugged in, I still ran into issues about 70% of the time.
Interestingly, the problems only seems limited to the desktop computer. I’ve tried the Kinect with 2 PC laptops, and neither experienced these issues. I’m wondering if perhaps the USB panel on the front of the Mac Pro is considered a “daisy-chain” extension of the hub on the back, thus leading to less-than-stellar bandwidth/power? In any event, it’s made this whole process extremely annoying.
If anyone finds a solution for this, please email me!
My friend Oscar and I are collaborating on an new media piece for his upcoming show Nordic Pop. Given that I have ZERO experience with new media installations, it’s fair to say that we’re being a little less-than-daring on my first venture into the Chelsea Art scene. Originally, we had talked about incorporating projectors into the piece, but ultimately we made the decision to go with a motion video, to keep things simple.
For the visuals, I wanted to incorporate some level of 3D, and thus we decided upon using a Microsoft Kinect for Windows to get the job done. Originally conceived to take advantage of Eyebeam’s RGB+D Toolkit, I soon realized that the software requires an X-Box Kinect. No matter. The depth camera alone can produce some pretty spectacular visuals, and coupling it’s output with 3D Studio Max + V-Ray, and I was able to create fantastically surreal yet organic images. Be sure to come check out the final product at the show.
132 W 18th Street